There’s much interest in Absinthe, the drink known as the Green Fairy or La Fee Verte. People would like to know how to buy it, what type to get, the way to prepare it and what is the recommended volume of Absinthe to use when contriving a drink.
First you need to purchase a quality Absinthe that’s abundant in essential oils and that contains wormwood. There are many Absinthe substitutes and fake Absinthes absinthekit available for sale that may contain southernwood or roman wormwood instead of common wormwood (artemisia absinthium). Make sure you purchase a proper real Absinthe. If you live in a country where it is difficult to find a good quality Absinthe then you could make your own Absinthe using essences via AbsintheKit.com.
Once you have got your Absinthe, you simply must learn The Ritual, or La Louche. It is a standard French or Swiss method of preparing Absinthe and it uses one shot of Absinthe. Listed below are the instructions:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe in the glass.
– Rest the Absinthe spoon on the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar onto it.
– Carefully drip iced water above the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a steady hand to pour from a carafe. Dripping it slowly can give the sugar possiblity to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. You ought to view a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes to the alcohol. The Absinthe louches as the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol however, not in water and so make the mixture cloudy or milky when water is added.
– Sit back and revel in your Absinthe drink.
The Bohemian or Czech Method is very similar to the Ritual but is a modern method of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian technique is scorned by a lot of Absinthe followers.
Instructions and tricks for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe in the glass and dip the sugar cube in it to soak the sugar.
– Place sugar cube to the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– Set the sugar cube alight for one minute to let the sugar to caramelize and melt. The sugar must drip through the slots of the spoon and in to the Absinthe.
– Put the spoon in the Absinthe and pour the cold water in to the Absinthe to put out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– Take pleasure in your Absinthe drink.
If you want to enjoy your Absinthe properly the you will want some Absinthiana – Absinthe glasses, spoons and maybe even an Absinthe fountain to regulate the flow of the water. Replicas of antique spoons and glasses can be acquired from AbsintheKit.com.
So, what is the recommended amount of Absinthe to use while preparing an Absinthe drink? About 45ml or a US shot. Obviously, you can use Absinthe in cocktails too – look for recipes online.