Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe during the early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, employed a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg. Wine is the conventional base for Absinthe but some distillers use other kinds of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that most of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Create Absinthe in your own home?
Even though some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is illegal in lots of countries and you also have to have the right equipment and also you have to know what you’re doing. So, are there any other ways of making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs such as wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a while or possibly a few weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation will provide you with a real Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe Kit – Most of the kits available on the web, such as the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They are easier than obtaining and preparing your own personal herbs but you are merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and creating a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much simpler and better method to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are produced by distilling traditional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is completed for you and all you have to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a genuine Absinthe drink.
The essences come in four distinct types:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a vintage “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to make a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This actually also carries a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe which has a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor as well as a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood taste.
You can either buy a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to create one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or obtain a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic gauge and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Just remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe will depend on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe in moderation since it is a much more powerful beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.