Lots of people do not know how to pour Absinthe effectively and no, it isn’t really as simple as taking off the lid, pouring it into a glass and drinking it! Absinthe needs to be served diluted with iced water and sweetened slightly with sugar absinthe. This method is known as “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is the way Absinthe was prepared in its heyday while in the 19th century and early twentieth century.
The Ritual isn’t a great deal of a recipe as a technique to follow. Allow me to share instructions on how to pour the right Green Fairy each time:-
– Absinthe – Use a quality Absinthe containing wormwood. There are several fake Absinthes around without any thujone and for that reason no wormwood.
– An Absinthe glass – This could cause measuring the Absinthe really easy since you fill the bulge in the bottom or rise to the mark, depending on what style glass you might have.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (cuillere)
– Cold water
– A cube of white sugar
To create your Absinthe drink you need to pour a shot of Absinthe in the glass and rest the spoon on the rim of the glass.Put the cube of sugar over the spoon and carefully drip the water over the sugar to make it dissolve into the Absinthe. Top-up the Absinthe to taste, usually a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe.
Should you use a reliable hand and drip the water bit by bit, it is possible to view the Absinthe louche the way it turns from a clear bright green to an opalescent, pale, milky green. This really is fascinating to look at.
Some Absinthe drinkers buy a special Absinthe fountain which you fill with water and ice cubes and then turn a tap to control the dripping of the water into the Absinthe – great if you are heavy handed. A fountain also lets you make two drinks while doing so because several fountains have two taps.
Reproductions of antique Absinthe spoons and glasses can be ordered online from AbsintheKit.com. The business also sell Absinthe essences on their webshop. You blend an essence with vodka or everclear to produce your own real wormwood Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian technique differs a little bit from the Ritual and isn’t a standard technique of preparing Absinthe. To produce Absinthe this way you need to:-
– Pour a shot of Absinthe to a glass and then dip the cube of sugar to the alcohol.
– Place the cube of sugar onto the Absinthe spoon.
– By using a match or lighter, set the sugar alight.
– Observe the sugar caramelize and melt through the slots of the spoon and to the Absinthe.
– Carefully pour iced water in the Absinthe to dilute.
– Stir and savor.
Absinthe can certainly be mixed with other alcohol in cocktails. Go online for Absinthe cocktail recipes my site. Ernest Hemingway drank “Death in the Afternoon” – Absinthe mixed with champagne!
There you are, how to pour Absinthe using the Ritual and the more modern Bohemian method. Take them into consideration and have fun with Absinthe.